The best water bottles for filtering water provide clean, fresh-tasting water without the need for disposable plastic bottles. They are perfect for on-the-go use, and many come with built-in filters, purifiers, or UV lights that remove contaminants such as bacteria and protozoa.
There are a few different types of water bottles with filters available on the market, so choosing one that best suits your needs is essential. Some models are designed for everyday use, while others are better suited for backpacking, fitness activities, or travel.
Things to consider when choosing your water filtering bottle:
Ease of use: How effortless is the water bottle to use? Can you fill it up and drink it easily while on the move?
Capacity: How much water can the bottle hold? If you’re planning on using it for long hikes or extended periods of time without access to clean water, you’ll want a bottle with a larger capacity.
Filtering speed: How quickly does the filter remove impurities from the water? If you’re in a hurry, you’ll want a filter that works quickly.
Cost: How much do the bottle and filter cost? You’ll want to find an affordable water bottle if you’re on a budget.
Durability: How durable is the water bottle? If you use it in rugged conditions, you’ll want a bottle that can withstand a few bumps and bruises.
Weight: How heavy is the water bottle? You’ll want a lighter bottle if you carry it around all day.
Style: What style of water bottle do you prefer? There are many designs and styles, so find one that fits your personality.
There are many reasons to choose a water bottle with a filter over other options. Filtered water bottles provide clean, fresh-tasting water without the need for disposable plastic bottles. They are perfect for on-the-go use, and many come with built-in filters that remove contaminants such as bacteria and protozoa.
Which water filter and purifying bottle is right for you?
Our Overall Top Pick: Grayl 24oz GeoPress® Purifier
- Type of treatment: Filters and Purifies
- Weight: 15.9 oz
- Capacity: 24 oz
- Filter Lifespan: 65 gallons
- This bottle both purifies and filters
- Fast and Easy- clean water in 8 seconds
Our take: For backpacking or travel, the Grayl Ultralight is excellent. It features a three-stage filtration system that removes viruses, bacteria, and protozoa and can also purify water from heavily contaminated sources. You won’t be disappointed if you can swing this high ticket price.
Our Best Priced PIck: Philips Water GoZero
- Type of treatment: Electro-adsorptive filter
- Weight: 5.3 oz
- Capacity: 20 oz
- Filter Lifespan: 26 gallons
- Great price
- Fits in most bike bottle holders and car cupholders
- It is squeezable for quick hydration on the go
- Limited filter lifespan – Increased overall cost
- Low capacity
Our take: The Philips Water GoZero Active is a great and affordable option if you’re looking for an everyday water bottle. Perfect for taking to the gym or anywhere you’re filling up with old pipes. It would only be a viable option for backpacking or longer day hikes if water sources were readily available. Otherwise, the capacity is just too low.
Our Pick for Filter Lifespan: LifeStraw Go
- Type of treatment: Membrane Microfilter
- Weight: 7.84oz
- Capacity: 22oz
- Filter Lifespan: 1000 gallons
- Filter lifespan will last years!
- Membrane filtration uses a carbon filter to reduce chlorine and odors and improves taste
- It takes more effort to drink from a straw to pull water through the filter
Our take: The LifeStraw Go is a solid option for the trail, travel, or even around town. It’s also available in a 1 Liter size, and the filter lifespan is fantastic.
Our top UV Light Pick– CrazyCap Pro
- Type of treatment: UV light
- Weight: 12.6oz
- Capacity: 17oz
- Battery Lifespan: 50 treatments per charge
- Doesn’t need to be charged very often
- The insulated bottle keeps liquids cold for up to 24 hours
- 3 min treatment time on Crazy Mode (recommended time in the backcountry)
- It doesn’t filter heavy metals or floating particles
- Requires electricity
This bottle is the perfect option for travel or backpacking when you need to treat flowing water that is clear of particulates.
Our Top Ultralight Pick– LifeStraw Peak Series
- Type of treatment: Membrane Filter
- Weight: 3.9 oz
- Capacity: 1 liter
- Filter Lifespan: 500 gallons
- Extremely Durable
- Shape conforms, making it very packable
- Lightweight, perfect for ultralight or thru-hiking
- Filter maintenance requires cleaning syringe – extra weight
- Difficult to drink from when low on water
Our take: This collapsable bottle is perfect for anyone who backpacks, needs a rugged option, and is concerned about space or extra weight.
No matter your needs, a water bottle with a filter is perfect for you. Choose one that will provide clean, fresh-tasting water, and enjoy the peace of mind of knowing you’re never far from safe drinking water.